Thursday, September 24, 2015

Heavy Hearts

Hey everyone,

With heavy hearts we must inform you that we have heard some bad news today.  Coltrane is in relapse of his cancer: Stage 4 Neuroblastoma.  They found a spot in his brain (not too deep, which is good), a tumor on his right shoulder area, one on his femur, one as big as a plum by his heart, and one that is straining on his spine.  They are pretty confident that there are lots of little tiny cells that are going to grow into Neuroblastoma cells too.  The one by his spine is time sensitive which will require chemotherapy in Tulsa (Thank you Lord!), probably next week.  The chemo will shrink the tumors.  If the scans show that the chemotherapy is working, then they will continue until that protocol is finished.  If it doesn't seem to work, we will seek out other options (possible treatment in other states).  However, the diagnosis is not good.  There is no cure for relapsed Neuroblastoma.  The point in treating this is to prolong his life as much as possible so hopefully he will be alive when there is a cure.  I know it almost sounds hopeless.  Unless he is completely miserable and in pain all the time and can't walk and stuff, we will continue to try as much as we can to research and get treatment for our youngest son.  

We are overwhelmed and tears of sadness flow frequently.  We do believe in God's miracles, and will continue to have hope in our God, who defies the world of sin and disease!  We stand firm and trust in God's will.  His will above all else.  No matter what the outcome, our testimony is GREAT!  And it's of God's help, faithfulness, love, kindness, and joy in the midst of darkness and weakness.  

I was at home while Sonja, Jackson, and Coltrane were in OKC.  I just got off the phone with Sonja with some news.  I fell to my knees on the kitchen floor, weeping uncontrollably, making no sound.  I finally had to breathe and when I did, it was a cry I have not known.  A shriek of terror came forth.  I laid down on the floor on my back.  I raised my hands to the Lord crying, "Why Lord? Why is this happening to us?  I need your help!  Please take me instead of my son, Lord!  Help me God Almighty.  Help me."  And when I said that last sentence, God shut my faucet off...immediately.  I was grateful for the instant response.  Sometime he helps us in strange ways.  I'm glad that I expressed my feelings to him and that He responded the way He did.  He did help me, so much.  I needed that faucet of tears to stop!

Please pray for:

A miracle for Coltrane
Strength for our family
Wisdom for us and the Dr.'s making decisions
That Coltrane will respond well to the chemo and shrink the tumors.  And make them disappear.
That Coltrane's chemo won't make him sick

Thank you so much!  We appreciate your prayers.


Professors:  Please forgive my absences.  And feel free to read to and update the class as you see fit.  Would you kindly excuse my absences?  I will turn in work and assignments on time.  And if there is a chance of coming to class, I gladly will be there.  Thank you for understanding.

Love,
Justin,
Sonja,
Jackson,
and Coltrane the trooper

7 comments:

  1. We are praying for your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your continued strength and healing for your dear sweet Coltrane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids and I will send up prayers. Much strength and love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kids and I will send up prayers. Much strength and love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers and healing love are on the way to you all!

    ReplyDelete