Monday, November 30, 2015

We feel nothing, but we feel everything

Dear friends and family,

I can't begin to describe what we are feeling.  I feel nothing.  But I feel everything.  We feel we live in the deepest of the deep.  Blackness, darkness, pit, despair, worn, sufferance.  Our life is lack.  Lack: the state of being without or not having enough of something.  This is a little taste of what it's like.  He's gone.  He's dead.  But his sweet knowledgeable spirit is with the one who made him.  We feel dead right now.  We still can't fathom what this means...the finality of it.  We wake everyday not wanting to.  During our day, we pour our hearts out through tears, laughter, the deepest sorrow, and spending time with Jackson and playing.  We are surrounded by the Church and our family and friends.  We are so thankful.  What a thanksgiving!  We are thankful for God giving us Coltrane, even if it wasn't right, not to say that God bringing him home was wrong.  He didn't go "before his time".  He went home at the right time.  For there is a time to be born and a time to die.  This is reality.  

Our visitation will be at Community Christian Fellowship on the corner of Main and Lincoln, our church home.  We will have an open casket at this time.  The time for this is 5-7PM.  We will show a slideshow sharing our most precious memories from his sweet life.  

The funeral service will be at the same location, on Wednesday December 2nd.  This will be a time of celebration and worship to our Lord.  During this time the casket will be closed.  Immediately after, there will be a grave side service at Oak Hill Cemetery in Siloam Springs.  Then, a lunch back at the church afterwards.  

So many thoughts come up as we grieve.  We are angry.  We are happy that Coltrane is not in pain anymore.  "No more pokes, Coltrane!"  I find artwork in God's design in this.  That Sonja brought Coltrane into this world, and I was holding his hand sweetly, as he breathed his last.  I don't think it was coincidence that Coltrane's ministry was as long as Jesus' was, three years.  I doubt I will be able to do what Coltrane did in three years, in my whole life time.  He made such an impact on so many, through the power of the Holy Spirit.  It's interesting to think about Coltrane and what his eyes held.  So much he knew we think.  He was always quick, as his brother.  He would answer you less than a second when you asked him a question.  His vocabulary was astounding for such a young man.  Wouldn't it be cool if Coltrane was a modern day prophet?  Maybe God gifted him with knowledge that surpassed our understanding, being adults.  That sounds nice.  

Thank you for your prayers.  Please pray for:

Our marriage to remain strong as it has
Our time of grieving
Jackson and his process of grieving
For everything to go well with the visitation and the funeral.
Complete peace and understanding
Comfort 
My studies at the College
Us to gain more and more faith in God, and to have an even stronger relationship with him

Love to you all in Christ,
Justin
Sonja
Jackson
and Coltrane Roy Smith

10 comments:

  1. We have no words to bring you comfort, or healing wisdom, only earthly love and cyber hugs and kisses to send your way.As we are not able to make the funeral , we will wear our shirts on Wednesday. For Coltrane and Family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many tears in my eyes reading This tonight. My friend Heidi shared your story faithfully and often I would pray for your son and family.
    My husband and I lost our second daughter when I was five months pregnant. Birthing her and burying her were tremendous difficulties weighing upon us. Yet by the grace and truths-promises of God, we survived!
    Keep clinging to His word as life!
    Praying for you all and grieving with you for what the enemy has stolen.
    -abi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and hugs to you all. God's grace be yours in the minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years to come. Please know that we hold you all closely in prayer. In our walk on the path of grief - it is different for us all - I would suggest that you listen closely to your heart and take all the time that you need. God in creation gave us all of our emotions and prayerfully you all will be able to be a support to each other. Thankfully with Aimee and I and Adeline we are all a different places at different times. I believe in God's mercy I was up when Aimee was down and when I was down Aimee was up. We have been able to support and love each other through. Move at your pace and be gracious to yourselves and allow all that you need. It takes a village and I'm so thankful that we were a part of each other's village and circles. Please contact either of us if you need or want to talk! All our love to you all! But for the grace of God are we able to go on. Ben, Aimee and Adeline LoveLikeCrazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. Your sweet family has been in my prayers and will continue to be. In God's Love, Cheri Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very very sorry. Our family knows these deep waters all too well and I just pray you find some peace. Until then, much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. I hope this story brings you a tiny bit of peace...
    http://www.leahsjourney.com/bravesoul.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the quote from Corrie TenBoom, "There is no pit so deep, that God's love is deeper still." I am so sorry about Coltrane's leaving, he was definitely a special boy!! Continue to take one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time, definitely a hard road to take but Jesus is wonderfully able to help us through these times. It's been five years now, since our family walked this road and continue to walk it. As we look back, we definitely can see how God helped us through, even though we felt so alone. You have a wonderful future ahead of you because Coltrane is in your future. Continuing to lift you up in prayer. "For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you". Isaiah 41:13 "I will take hold of your hand." Isaiah 42:6 With love, Lisa Butler

    ReplyDelete
  8. "There is no pit so deep, that God's love is not deeper still."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you and knowing that God is there with you. HE is your only answer, and cries with you. His grace is sufficient, and His mercies are new every morning…. EVERY MORNING~!!! Keep praising Him~!!! He will never leave you or forsake you. Praying for all your requests and love you all even though I've never met you personally. You've showed us that Jesus is your HOPE, and your sweet little Coltrane is now in His arms~!!! Thank God for your testimony. Crying with you~!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm praying God's love and never ending peace surrounds you.

    ReplyDelete