Monday, June 9, 2014

Why help?

My name is Amber Sisemore, and I have the best job in the world. I work every day with kids. I am a second grade teacher in Gravette, Arkansas. Part of being a teacher is not only the students but building relationships with my coworkers. They become your family and honestly some days they help get you through. I am starting this website on behalf of one of my coworkers, Sonja Smith. Her 1 year old son Coltrane was diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma in May of 2014. He was diagnosed after finding a mysterious bump on his head and was not able to walk one day. The Neuroblastoma was considered stage 4 because of the multiple tumors that were found. After multiple scans, they discovered a tumor in his abdominal area, by his kidney. He has a tumor that is visible on the outside of his skull. He may also have tumors in other areas, possibly by his mandible and humerus bone. Coltrane's treatment plan will include several cycles of chemo, possible surgery to remove the abdominal tumor, stem cell harvesting and transplant, and radiation. Sonja has had to quit her job in order to care for her son and all the treatments over the next year. With these treatments and no job the cost will be significant. We are working to help Sonja meet these costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment